It really is impressive to hear so many examples of big businesses going green. BUT:
- Toyota tells us that they are are green with the hybrid Prius … but what about the rest of their gas-guzzling range?
- Google embark on a massive solar panel installation … but Larry and Sergey fly around in their own their own leer jet.
- The big retailers like Walmart and Tesco are jumping aboard the green train with their own initiatives. But they’re still importing their lettuces from other continents.
- Richard Branson has plans to make his Virgin brand more green. But he’s in the aviation industry.
- Anya Hindmarch’s uber-cool “I am not a plastic bag” bags, designed for Sainsbury’s in the UK, weren’t plastic. They were, however, made in China using non-organic cotton and cheap labour.
No doubt there have been some huge inroads to sustainable business in 2007. But there’s still a long way to go.